Un extranjero a vivir en Argentina.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
  • #18505

    Message in English:

    Hello, I’m form New York in the United States and I wish to live in Argentina, more specifically, in Buenos Aires although I am open to any other suggestions. I have a year before my big move and although I have read many informative articles and have spoken to people who live there, albeit locals of the country, I am still left with some questions on how to proceed. Firstly I would like to say that I want to move in order to study for my masters degree in the University of Buenos Aires in Educational Psychology and aside from that I have always had a passion for the country with the desire to eventually move there. For now I plan to visit Argentina in December for a month to further plan out what I may need in order to make the change. The other reason for my grand voyage is that my girlfriend lives there and we are in love and I am sure I speak on behalf of anyone who has been in love to say that I am willing to do anything to be with her, so that is why I am here so I can both study and to start a family in Argentina. I hope anyone who reads this can shed some light to my questions or simply help those who are just as interested in transitioning themselves to this wonderful endeavor of a country so without further distractions, I present my questions so far:

    1. I know that when you visit Argentina you are given a tourist visa that is valid up to 90 days, unless you do not fall under the list of countries that provides this, but what if I want to live in the country? is there a more permanent solution?

    1a. I understand that a working visa and a student visa are separate permissions and cannot be obtained until residing in Argentina with all my required documents, but how difficult is it to obtain either visa? Does being accepted to a university in Argentina grant you a student visa? What about obtaining a working visa because living there does require you to have an income, so how difficult will it be for me to receive a working visa?

    2. Although we do plan on getting married, it is not ideal for me to fall onto that option of receiving a visa through marriage, so how can I begin the process of obtaining residency because from what I’ve read you may do so after showing proof of residing legally in Argentina for 2 years? If I don’t study and somehow cannot work legally, is it still possible to become a resident?

    3. I am a teacher with a concentration in english, so how easy would it be for me to utilize my degree in Argentina to provide for myself a steady income? I am aware that education there isn’t as strong in regards to how the government treatment of teachers so would you recommend going into the private sector vs. public teaching?

    4. My final question, for now , what areas would you recommend to live in when speaking of Buenos Aires? that is safe, close to transportation, as well as the life of the city? Thank you for your help and hopefully my questions can help anyone else who is thinking about taking the first step to moving to the paris of the south.

    Soy de los estados unidos, NY(nueva york), y tengo deseos de vivir en argentina, mas específicamente, en buenos aires aunque estoy abierto para lo que sea. Tengo un ano para mi gran viaje, pero leyendo muchos artículos informativos y charlando con algunos que viven allá, que no son extranjeros, me quedan algunas dudas. Primero quiero decir que me encantaría ir para poder estudiar por un maestría y que ahorita termino mi licenciatura en ingles con un tecnicatura de educación secundaria. Lo que quiero es poder estudiar un maestría en psicología educacional en UBA y afuera de eso siempre tuve deseos por vivir en argentina y es mas que tengo un viaje de un mes en diciembre para ver mas seguro el situación en que me meto. El otro parte de mi gran deseo de vivir en argentina es que mi novia vive allá y estamos bien enamorados y como muchos que dan todo por el amor, también estoy dispuesto a dejar todo para poder realizar mi vida con ella así que estoy con las dos cosas de querer estudiar y formar una familia con mi novia, pero es acá donde estoy algo perdido porque afuera de todo lo que se puede leer sobre esta tema, no es algo seguro y así es la vida así que estoy para ver quien me puede ayudar entender un poco mas en que hacer. Y por ahora aquí están mis preguntas:

    1. yo se que viajar como turista te dan 90 días, bueno depende de tu país y el mío queda cabal va en ese lista, pero como hago para sacarme algo mas, digamos, asegurado si es que quiero vivir allá?
    1a. entiendo que una visa de trabajo y de estudio son dos cosas diferentes y las dos no puedo sacar hasta estar allá y con todo mis documentos que ya tengo medio listo o en camino, pero que tan fácil es sacar las dos cosas porque para estudiar también toca dinero y aunque llevo un poco por el principio también me gustaría poder trabajar de maestro de ingles allá y para eso se necesita una visa de trabajo así que que tanto me va costar por ser un extranjero?

    2. aunque me pudiera casar con mi novia de una ves, no es lo ideal para mi (porque creo en tener una boda con la familias y amigos y bueno cosas así), entonces como puedo comenzar a tener una residencia porque de lo que leo se necesita 2 anos de residencia legal, pero si no te dan ninguna forma de ser legal como un extranjero como yo o quien sea puede llegar a buscarse la residencia?

    3. como maestro, de ingles, que tan fácil seria conseguir trabajo porque entiendo que alla el sistema educacional no esta tan bueno ósea de parte donde el gobierno ayuda mucho a los maestros así que no se muy bien que forma seria el mejor pagado y mejor para agarrar experiencia sobre el enseño educativo en el país?
    3a. también leí en algún lado que es contra el ley para un extranjero a ensenar en un escuela publico, ósea del parte del gobierno, no se si es verdad o no? si lo es que otro me queda? privadas? companias? escuelas internacionales?

    4. mi pregunta final, por ahora, que áreas son recomendables para vivir en BA para un extranjero que no conoce el país, mi novia es de otro provincia y no conoce mucho la cuidad así que a nos dos nos toca algo nuevo, y así podemos vivir tranquilo y seguros pero no tan lejos de la mera cuidad o donde están los trenes tránsitos?

    Gracias por sus ayudas y ojalá estos preguntas pueden ayudar a otro extranjero que tiene en mente a vivir en argentina como yo. Perdon si mi español esta un poco rústica que todavía me toca perfeccionarlo y de ahí al castellano! saludos y muchas gracias otra ves!

    • This topic was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by calvin22a.
    • This topic was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by Miguel. Reason: English Message from Calvin
    • This topic was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by Miguel.

    Hi @calvin22a

    I’d like to answer your questions in english because it’s your native tongue and probably would be easier for you or another english reader of this forum to use this as reference.

    Ofc my english isn’t my native tongue but i’ll try to do my best for you, i just consider this necessary.

    About study

    The first thing that you want to do is to reach a master (maestría en psicología educacional en UBA) so probably you’ll need information about the docs that you need to present to the university right?

    In this case, you should talk with the faculty of the UBA directly (here’s their contact info) and you could find interesting their requirements to apply:


    You must consider translate your study certifications (degrees) with a «Escribano Público Certificado», take that in mind, usually they ask for it and «Apostilla de la HAYA» (don’t know if apply to U.S).

    About traveling, living and working


    Yes, you have 90 as tourist, don’t forget to get your passport stamped properly when traveling, pay the respective tax for leaving U. S. A. to Argentina (isn’t too much, mb 20 bucks) buy your flying ticket with depart and return (it doesn’t matter if you lost the return ticket).

    You could check this video too:

    I think you’ll understand but if needed I’ll put subtitles on it (ENG ofc).

    The requirements to travel to Argentina are also here in the official page of Migraciones Argentina as far as I know you do not need Visa.


    Now to live, work, study and enter or leave the country for two years you could process paperwork for Residencia Temporaria, remember that you aren’t a MERCOSUR member, so you’re «NO-MERCOSUR» and they’ll ask you as requirement for this process an university inscription (recognized by Migraciones like the UBA is) or a pre-contract to work with a company here.

    After you have lived your first two years here, you could get the Residencia Permanente for 16 years more.

    Working as English teacher could be a good idea, I’ve seen a lot of particular teachers (maybe you could teach me n_n), you couldn’t work legally until you get your documentation(Residencia Temporaria) and probably your degrees certified by the Ministerio de Educación like this process.

    You can work with your documentation in order, there’s no such law or at least I haven’t heard something like that.

    I’d wrote an article that you’ll found interesting about where to live in Buenos Aires.

    If you need a place to stay a few days or maybe months consider this hostel in San Telmo, it’s really nice and you’ll get 5% disscount by mentioning this website.

    I’m glad that you’ve found us, excuse my bad english skills and I hope you find this useful, your spanish is really good.

    Ask everything you want to, I’ll be glad to help.


    • This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Miguel.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Miguel.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Miguel.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by Miguel.

    Gracias Miguel, sos un gran ayuda que ni lo puedo comenzar a agradezer, solo tengo una pregunta mas:

    mi viaje de un mes es para visitar así que tengo ir y vuelta, pero cuando me voy para vivir, recomiendas que me compre un boleto sin regreso o me van a preguntar por que voy sin pasaje para regresar?


    Thank you and don’t worry, your english is very proficient and if you need any help with that or anything that I can possible become of use for, please don’t be afraid to ask as you have helped many people. 😀


    a y otra pregunta jajaja perdón que a la noche me salen todas las preguntas miguel, pero bueno entiendo casi todo lo que me dijiste alla arriba, pero lo único que no entiendo o pues no se como me tocaría y ahorita lo voy explicar así tienes un idea. gracias por ser tan amable, ojalá en mi tiempo alla nos podemos conocer y tomar un mate 🙂 y bueno aquí voy:

    yo hago mi viaje en diciembre para ir al uba, al administración del migración para averiguar todo en detalle que acá tengo la consola de argentina y ya hablado con el director del departamento del psicologia de uba. Ahora lo que estoy un poco confundido y perdón que te hago tantas preguntas, es que cuando voy para vivir va ser en julio del próximo ano, las escuelas comienzan en marzo, así que aunque me aceptan en la uba voy estar sin estudio por un buen tiempo porque creo que no dan visa hasta ingresarme al universidad así que de mi cuenta ya estoy casi un ano sin visa de estudio que no es la gran cosa porque puedo esperar. aquí es donde entro en dudas. ahora que no puedo estudiar por casi un ano, claro no voy a quedarme sin trabjar o si no no voy a sobrevivir jajaja, pero acerca de lo que me escribiste del visa de trabajo y que no voy a poder ensenar ingles legalmente hasta sacar algún documente legal del migración sea sobre estudiar alla o trabajo con contrato entonces no hay forma de trabajar legalmente? quiero decir, cuando llego hay forma que buscar un empleo legal que dan contratos así saco aunque sea una visa de trabajo y no pierdo casi un ano que puede contar para mi residencia? ahí es donde estoy un poco perdido porque es como que llego, como dicen acá, mojado a argentina aunque voy volando jaja pero hay alguna forma llegando de esa manera poder sacar algún visa o solo es por estudio o trabajo contratado? y si es así lo que me da miedo es que tan fácil será sacarme encontrar un trabajo contratado siendo un extranjero con mi titulo de maestro ingles… yo se miguel que es mucho y hasta mi novia dice que siempre voy de mas con las preguntas, pero creo que es mejor ser preparado con tiempo que llegar con las preguntas en mano… ojalá esta todo bien alla y que tengas un buen fin de semana! ciao amigo!


    Fixes: Consola = «Consulate» Consulado

    When you come to Argentina, remember that you must resolve your legal situation in the country by doing the paperwork for Residencia Temporaria. Otherwise you’re only allowed to stay in the country for 90 as tourist.

    You can renew your 90 days by leaving the country (to a close country like Uruguay) and coming back immediatly as you can read here.

    As you should already know, to get the Residencia Temporaria, you’ll have to have a pre-contract from a Company or get an inscription in an official university recognized by Migraciones Argentina, you’ll get more information by writing to info@migraciones.gov.ar

    you have to paths to follow;

    1) Get the inscription to the university through the Consulate, by that u’ll have a legal residency in the country (not as tourist, as student that is longer)

    2) Come 3 months before inscriptions to the university, get your papers in order, prepare your paperwork and apply in the university directly and paperwork with Migraciones directly as well.

    Usually i use to recommend the second option, just because you’ll have to acomplish other processes (that i don’t know) by doing the step one (1) to get your title from the Argentinean University valid to work in the country! as i understand, coming from the Consulate or Embassy make your title invalid to use in Argentina til you do aditional paperwork.

    By the second option, you must be sure to get all the documments and paperwork requiered by Migraciones and Universidad de Buenos Aires.

    Wih the first option i don’t know if you can work or have to do aditional paperwork to do it.

    With the second one, you can work, study and enter or leave the country for two years.

    I tried to describe this in the easiest way, but tell me if it isn’t clear.

    Lots of hugs.

    • This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by Miguel.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by Miguel.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by Miguel.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Travel To Argentina’ is closed to new topics and replies.